Wednesday 5 November 2014

Filthy Gorgeous, Sheffield

The Abbeydale Road-based Filthy Gorgeous recently got in touch to see if I fancied trying one of their fruit and veg boxes. And as I had found myself in a bit of a Lidl formed rut, this offer couldn't have come at a better time.

Deliveries take place on a Tuesday and I was pretty excited to see what I'd received as I drove home from work that evening. Packages are exciting enough - food packages are REALLY exciting.



The large fruit and veg box had a good mix of day-to-day veg such as potatoes and carrots, along with a few more interesting items such as fresh shii-take mushrooms and a romanesco cauliflower.

Everything was really fresh and, although it's organic, it kept well too. Taste-wise we noticed a real difference - especially in the potatoes (of all things) and I found that I was cooking more veg based meals. This wasn't just to use the produce up, it was because I didn't want to end up serving the veg just as a side - I wanted to make the most of it all. Highlights included shii-take mushrooms cooked with fennel and greens and whole romanesco coated in a herb butter and baked in the oven. The fruit was good too - especially the grapefruit and the clementines which were juicy and sweet.

The large fruit and veg boxes retail at £19 a pop and you can choose to have them delivered as a one off or on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis - which is great for those who would like to dip in and out (like me). 

There's a variety of box types available including the mixed box, the salad box, the kitchen essentials box and the gourmet box. I'm currently thinking it could be interesting to get a box every 6-8 weeks or so, just to challenge myself to cook something new once in a while. And, with box contents being uploaded onto the Filthy Gorgeous website every Friday, I could just order a box whenever something unusual comes up. 

I'll keep you posted on how I get on!

No comments:

Post a Comment