Sunday 4 August 2013

Indian Spiced Lamb and a Couple of Salads

I've had the book Smoke & Spice for a few months and even though it's full of gorgeous sounding recipes (such as Lavender Salt Crusted Leg of Lamb, Matambre and Cajun Crispy Pork Belly) I hadn't got round to cooking from it until today. And despite being tempted by some of the more interesting and special sounding recipes, I wanted something quick and simple. I also wanted something that didn't involve any expensive ingredients, or rather, didn't require any spices that I didn't already have. Indian Spiced Lamb fit the bill perfectly.

A mix of cumin, cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, turmeric, paprika and garam masala was rubbed into two thick lamb steaks before leaving them overnight in the fridge. I then cooked them on the char grill pan, sliced and served up with a couple of salads from HFW's Veg (a cucumber and mint salad which can be found here and an avocado, grapefruit and chilli salad).



The lamb was really tasty; the rub added a nice level of spice without overpowering the flavour of the meat, but the highlights for me were the salads. Once again, HFW had pulled it off. Avocado and grapefruit? Who knew? I don't even like grapefruit, but the avocado helped to cut through the bitterness and made it much more palatable. Needless to say the chilli and coriander were also enjoyable additions to the dish. Cucumber and mint is a more obvious combination and I would probably experiment by adding lime juice and crushed peanuts next time.

A delicious, healthy and light dinner... what did you have tonight?

1 comment: